Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Story of Diane Hall

At the beginning of 2010, Diane Hall looked like many of her family members (some of whom were deceased): seriously overweight. As an ICU nurse at a hospital that specializes in gastric bypass surgery, Diane was very familiar with the path she had started going down: going from doctor to doctor being prescribed medication after medication for weight-related issues like high blood pressure.

Diane knew she needed to make some changes, so she bought her first pair of tennis shoes and started exercising for the first time in her adult life. Unsure of her commitment, she joined the Skagit Valley Family YMCA because of its inexpensive rates, but soon learned the support from staff and fitness opportunities at the Y were exactly what she needed to achieve her goals.

As an inexperienced exerciser, it was a big step just to make the effort.

"Just showing up and finishing was my goal," Diane said.



At her first cycling class, Diane said she almost moved the trash can next to her bike just in case she had to vomit. Although she had the common difficulty of walking down the stairs after the cycling class, she was encouraged to come back by the instructor. During Zumba, Diane realized it didn't matter if she was doing the exact moves as the instructors as long as she was sweating. In fact, as a participant in every Zumba class offered at the Y, you will now often see her making the moves more difficult than the instructors to sweat even more!

During a step class, Diane decided mid-way that she needed to leave the class or risk losing her breakfast. After the class, the instructor found her and asked if there was anyway she could help Diane, offered to work with her individually, and encouraged her to keep coming back. At the Y, Caring is one of our core values and Diane experienced firsthand how deeply the staff believe in strengthening the community and truly helping our neighbors.

"How was it that this instructor cared about my physical health, more so than I had cared in the last 40 years?" Diane wondered. "As the months went by with that thought weighing on my mind, pound after pound ceased from weighing heavily on my frame. Isn't it surprising that when it comes to the mind, even after 51 years of life, a change, a shifting of gears, can sometimes occur during one brief conversation, during one moment of time?"

As Diane pushed herself to become healthier, she realized she could do more than she ever thought.

When Diane first started walking along the Kulshan trail with a walking group from the Y, one day a lady who was at least 20 years older than Diane started walking and talking with her...while Diane was out of breath and struggled along.

"She was jabbering on and on while I was so out of breath, I couldn't make a peep and could hardly keep up," said Diane. "That started me thinking, I've got to take control of my health. I started walking the Kulshan trail each day, determined to turn  my health around. I held onto the idea of going faster and faster, then jogging just in the shadows, then jogging more than that, and then I did something I have never done in my life: I became a jogger...What once took me 1 hour and 25 minutes, now takes me as little as 49 minutes."

Diane became a part of the Y community with each class she took. She appreciates the smiles given by the front desk staff ("Don't I just love hearing how I look so much slimmer," Diane said), the continual help and tips on how to use the equipment, and hearing weight-loss tips from people like Katie Heller who have also gone through this journey (see blog entry "A Y Inspiration").

Diane will be the first one to admit her journey has not been an easy one (even joking that she should have bought stock in the parent company of Tylenol), but knows it is worth it.

"Even though I still have 40 pounds to lose, I'm well on my way; having made a few friends and having had a few laughs along the way," she said. "Plus, I've said goodbye to all those doctor prescribed pills. Yes, I'm shaping up and I think the only thing I'm going to be [keeping] permanently is my membership at the Y.

"May I take this opportunity to add my heartfelt gratitude to the folks who have led me, who have stood next to me and who have all smiled. Thank you so much."

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing story. We all need that kind of encouragement even if we want/need to loose 5-100#. Exercising is fun, but we all need company and support. As a dietitian I see so many challenges that I even face, this story can help a lot those challenges to be accomplish. I wish this story can be frame and translated in different languages in our Y. I hope everyone who read this story move one step forward to be healthier, coming from exercise to the food we eat. Great job Y staff and Diane! sarimin.rivera@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete