While much of the history of Skagit Valley Family YMCA is unknown before the Fulton Street building was built in 1941, what we do know is the current YMCA was forged by the early members of Skagit Valley. Here are some details:
- In 1920, Thomas Barrett, a local farmer, willed his estate of $30,000 for a capital support of the YMCA in Skagit Valley. His estate was invested by trustees and by 1941 had grown to $60,000.
- With the help of WPA (Work Progress Administration) and the community, a small pool and gymnasium were constructed.
- That year (1941), the Y registered 600 members (today we serve 4,180 members and 1,062 program members)